Every now and then, friends are asking me to remove shortcut virus from Pendrive (USB Drive) they got. And I am getting tired of this virus. So I decided to write this post to share the tips to my friends and to all my reader out there on how to get rid of this virus and recover back the file(s) that are in the Pendrive. The infected Pendrive may look something like the below picture when you tried to open it.
There are many methods that can be done to remove the shortcut virus. But, I will share the simplest method. You can follow the below method step by step.
- Plug the Pendrive Into A Clean Computer (Not Virus Infected) and do not open it.
- Open Command Prompt (CMD) by pressing the Windows Key + R, type cmd and hit enter.
- In the Command Prompt, paste the below command and hit enter.
- After executing the above command, you will get a new folder inside your pendrive with no name.
- All your files will be under this unname folder, open it and take all your file from there.
- Last but not the least, you need to delete the shortcut inside the Pendrive which link to the virus and search for an unknown file inside the unname folder and delete it.
Note: Replace H with the letter of your Pendrive.
attrib /s /d -s -r -h H:*
Using Automate Tool Method
If you are not so sure of the manual method or don’t want to waste time, you can download the below file which will do almost all the work for you.
- Download Remove Shortcut Virus From Pendrive.
- After downloading the above file, extract and run it.
- Paste the letter of your Pendrive and hit enter.
- Wait for the tool to process depending on the number and size of file(s) that you have in the pendrive
- Finally, follow the step 5 and 6 of the Manual Method
Hope that this article has helped you in remove and recover file from your Pendrive. If you have any query please feel free to drop a comment. I will be happy to help you.